Saturday, July 23, 2005

Great Expectations


Have you ever expected something of God, something that you wanted from him? Ever become frustrated when you didn’t get it? Often times I find myself saying to God… “Where are You! And why haven’t you done this! This is what you’re supposed to do!” Sometimes I have a hard time saying to God “thy will be done,” because often I can only see a very limited future, and I just can’t comprehend anything outside of that realm. I have a hard time letting go of my expectations of God, and therefore I can’t take the greater gifts that he is trying to give me.

Well, it’s good to know we’re not the only ones who have this little problem. Like so often happens, we can see ourselves in Peter. Sometimes I wonder if, when Jesus first saw Peter, He looked at his heart and said to himself… “Now, that’s the one. Every person for the rest of time who stumbles or struggles will be able to identify with this man. This guy is just never going to get it, he’s going to deny me, he is going to try and stand in my way….but he is still going to be my disciple.”

In Gethsemane, Peter still had the wrong expectations of God, to the very end, Peter still carried a sword, he was still waiting for his Messiah who would free Israel from the Romans. After Peter cutting off someone’s ear, Jesus again corrected Peter “All who draw the sword will die by the sword. Do you think I cannot call on my Father and he will at cone put at my disposal more that 12 legions of angels? But how then would the Scriptures be fulfilled that say it must happen this way?”
In a nutshell, I think Jesus is saying…Peter, you have the wrong expectations. Open your heart to what I am here for, because its much, much better than an independent Israel. It’s better than Abraham, Moses, Joshua, and David.

I think Peter had in his head an idea of various possibilities. Either Jesus would now begin the rebellion, or he would be taken away for ever. Peter simply could not conceive of a crucifixion, a resurrection, and eternal forgiveness for sin. But Jesus knew of it, God knew of it, and it was the greatest possibility, the greatest gift, that he could have given us. When we let go of our expectations, we open ourselves up to just that, the greatest possibility ever.

A lot of people use the terminology, “laying it down at the alter” or the cross, or some such thing, with the intent on conveying the message… “Just let God take care of it!”
This can sometimes be a frustrating message to hear, because sometimes we just don’t know how. Let’s face it, we don’t have a man to ask, to follow, to hear and touch. Jesus is no longer on this Earth; neither are the disciples or Paul. But I think that, at least, a very large part of “laying it at the alter” is a recognition to yourself that, no matter what situation you are in now, Jesus is involved, and he is preparing something for you. You may only be able to see a few possible outcomes, some of which might not seem so desirable, but have faith that there is a purpose to what often seems like madness.

Incidentally, life becomes a wild adventure at the same time. We rarely know what to expect next, but we know its going to be good, its going to be exciting, and we are going to love it! In a word, we suddenly realize that Christianity is, indeed, a HOOT!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home